Jimbun Chiri or Japanese Journal of Human Geography (JJHG) is the journal of the Human Geographical Society of Japan (HGSJ) (ISSN: 0018-7216). The journal is respected for the quality of its publishing and the purpose it serves. Members of the society choose the journal because of its superior quality and its rigorous peer-review system. A notable feature of the JJHG is that members and non-members from foreign countries (particularly East Asian countries) submit their papers to the journal, which is widely circulated in East Asian countries, including Japan. Therefore, the JJHG is, regionally, an important journal. We are proud to announce that the JJHG has been part of Elsevier’s Scopus since 1978.
The journal is currently published quarterly (end of March, June, September, and December). However, it was initially published every other month until 2015. The journal’s paper categories are articles, research notes, reviews, and forums. The “Geographical Results (gakkai tenbo)” section, in every third issue, presents a very detailed review of human geographical studies that were published largely by Japanese geographers in the preceding year. This section has been highly appraised as an important item that is unique to the JJHG.
Every member of the HGSJ has the right to submit a paper in either English or Japanese. The editorial board often invites non-member geographers to submit their papers for special issues. Although the JJHG is basically a Japanese journal, the submission of English papers is also welcomed. An English admission form is available here.
Aim & Scope
The aim of the JJHG is to achieve the key objectives of the HGSJ by publishing cutting-edge research in the field of human geography. Papers that challenge the status quo, address important scientific and technical issues, and promote social justice are welcomed. The journal publishes peer-reviewed papers across the whole spectrum of human geography.
- KAGAWA Takashi (Kyoto University of Education)
- KOMEIE Taisaku (Kyoto University)
- ANDO Tetsuro (Shiga University)
- HANAOKA Kazumasa (Ritsumeikan University)
- ISHIZAKI Kenji (Nara Women’s University)
- INAGAKI Ryo (Nara University)
- INOUE Manabu (St. Agnes University)
- KANDA Koji (Ritsumeikan University)
- MIZUNO Masahiko (Osaka Prefecture University)
- SHIMAZU Toshiyuki (Wakayama University)
- TOIDA Katsuki (Kindai University)
- TSUKAMOTO Reiji (The University of Shiga Prefecture)
- YAJIMA Iwao (Kobe Gakuin University)
- YAKUSHIJI Hiroyuki (Nara Prefectural University)
- YAMACHIKA Hiroyoshi (Osaka Kyoiku University)
- YAMAGUCHI Satoshi (Kwansei Gakuin University)
All papers that have been published in the JJHG, from Volume 1 in 1948 (except for papers published in 2006–2016), are available here. Please note that the papers published from 2006 to 2016 will also be available until the end of 2017.
Notes for contributors of English papers are highlighted here. An explanation of the peer-review process is available here. Guidelines for the peer-review process are available here. You can obtain the cover letter for a paper submission here.