Jimbun Chiri or Japanese Journal of Human Geography (JJHG) is the official journal of the Human Geographical Society of Japan (HGSJ) (ISSN: 0018-7216). The journal has long been respected for its rigorous peer review system and the resultant high quality of published papers. A notable feature of the JJHG is that geographers from foreign countries (particularly East Asian countries) also have contributed their papers to the journal, which has been widely circulated in East Asian countries including Japan. Therefore, the JJHG is becoming an internationally important journal. In addition, we are proud to announce that the JJHG is indexed in Elsevier’s Scopus (from 1950 onwards).
The JJHG has been published quarterly (end of March, June, October, and December) since 2016, although it had been published bimonthly until 2015. The journal’s paper categories consist of articles, research notes, reviews, and focuses. The “annual review” section, appearing in every third issue, contains very detailed reviews of human geographical studies published mostly by Japanese geographers in the preceding year. This section has been highly appraised as featuring critically important bibliographic essays unique to the JJHG.
Every member of the HGSJ has the right to submit a paper in either Japanese or English. The editorial board often invites non-member geographers to submit their papers for special issues. Although the JJHG is basically a Japanese journal, the submission of English papers is also welcomed. A membership application form is available here.
Aim & Scope
The aim of the JJHG is to achieve the key objectives of the HGSJ by publishing cutting-edge research papers and systematic reviews in the field of human geography. Papers that challenge the status quo, address important scientific and technical issues, and promote social justice are also welcomed. The journal publishes peer-reviewed papers across the whole spectrum of human geography.
- FUJII Tadashi (Otemon Gakuin University)
- HAMADA Takuji (Kwansei Gakuin University)
- FUKUMOTO Taku (Nanzan University)
- HORI Takehiko (Niigata University)
- IMAZATO Satoshi (Nagoya University)
- ISHIZAKI Kenji (Nara Women’s University)
- ITO Chihiro (Fukuoka University)
- KAMAKURA Natsuki (The University of Tokyo)
- MAEDA Yosuke (Niigata University)
- MIKI Masafumi (Nara University)
- MUSHA Tadahiko (Shinshu University)
- NAKAKUBO Keisuke (Tokyo University of Agriculture)
- SUGANO Taku (Osaka Metropolitan University)
- SUGIURA Shinichiro (Meijo University)
- TACHIBANA Setsu (Kansai University of International Studies)
- TSUKAMOTO Ryohei (Fukuyama City University)
- YAMAMOTO Rika (Ritsumeikan University)
All papers and miscellaneous notes published in the JJHG are available online at J-STAGE. Please note that the latest four issues are only available by the society’s members who are provided with the subscriber’s ID and password.
Notes for contributors of English papers are available here. An explanation of the peer review process is available here. Guidelines of peer review results are available here. You can also obtain the cover letter for paper submission.